Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Amish Furniture and Furniture Polishes, Waxes, etc.



Allow me to put to rest all the campaigns you see on TV and in print in regards to furniture polishes, waxes, and cleaning products. Companies make promises to potential customers that their product will protect and replenish your furniture’s hardwood oils and feed the wood like it is screaming out to you that it is hungry, thirsty, even dehydrated. These are not only false promises, but when it comes to Amish furniture, it is just darn right not true! The fact of the matter is that Amish furniture does not need to be fed or watered, or any of that nonsense. There are no natural oils in the hardwood that is used to create Amish furniture, so there is no need to replenish something that isn’t there to replenish.

Most Amish furniture artisans use conversion varnish, which completely seals off the wood from the elements. When you follow up with your cleaning routine using waxes and polishes all they really do in reality is just sit on top of the varnish finish, never penetrating into the wood. Furniture polishes and waxes only add a temporary amount of protection until the polish evaporates generally anywhere from one hour to a day. They will not stop the sunlight from penetrating, it will not stop oxidation, it will not stop the drying out or cracking of finishes, it will not protect it from heat or solvents, and it will not protect it from physical abuse on your Amish furniture.

It will however add that temporary shine or luster to the surface that gives the appearance of clean, new, revived and many leave a nice scent behind. It will also help clean off those greasy fingerprints off the surface. Therefore, you may question, what should you use. Well that depends on what you are seeking. If you are looking for that long lasting shine, go with a paste wax. Some are scented, but don’t leave as much scent behind as a furniture polish. If you are looking for a quicker cleanup of dust and fingerprints, go with the furniture polish. Look for a polish that has a slower evaporation rate because even with the limited protection a polish provides, it doesn’t last long if it evaporates within an hour.

NOTE
When cleaning glass inserts, never spray glass cleaning product onto the glass. Spray it onto your cleaning rag first and then clean the glass.

ABOUT THE PICTURE
Mission Console End Table
Mission Console End Table - 30" High x 21 1/2" Wide x 141/2" Deep.
FEATURES:
1 Glass Door w/ Mullions
Mullions in the Sides and Back
Black Mission Hardware w/ Lock and Key Hole
2 Glass Shelves w/o Plate Grooves
Glass Top (No Light)
This elegant product is 100% Amish crafted in accordance with centuries old woodworking techniques and produced in the heart of one of the largest Amish communities in the United States.

AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

8 comments:

  1. Wow, so much for all the money I spent on cleaning products over the years. I wish I had read this information way back then. Maybe I could have replaced a few more pieces of my older furniture with the money I could have saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips. it 's useful for me .
    thanks you for good post .

    :) good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mission Console End Table doesn't look like any end table I've seen to date, but I like it. I'm not sure how it would look with the rest of the furniture in the room, but I think I'm about to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. False promises on TV? What's this world coming to? Fortunately, I don't believe most of what I hear or see on TV or radio. I'm more of a word of mouth type of person. My sister has a house full of Amish built furniture. She swears by it and I have to tell you every piece is a work of art. I love to visit and just walk through her house, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the style of this end table. I'd like to replace the ones I have, they came from the ark when it landed. Well, not really, but you get the idea. I think 2 of these would really update the look of my livingroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually end tables just sit there. I really like this style which turns the table into a center piece for the room. I collect angels and I bet they would look great on display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the oil lamp as much as I like the end table. I'd like to have a set of both to put in the den of my log cabin. They would both fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mission Console end table will look perfect in my bedroom. I just can't decide if I need 1 or 2. I'm leaning towards 2 although that would be a pretty tight fit. I need to go back and measure again before I decide.

    ReplyDelete