Monday, March 22, 2010

Amish Furniture Mishaps Repairs



Distressed wood is attractive to many; however, when your Amish furniture becomes distressed through anything other than natural elements can make you cringe. Things like cigarette burns; heat marks from that hot skillet that was put on the table without a proper heat pad; nail polish that got hit by the ball flying through the air mysteriously; paint from that art project that no newspaper was put under; water marks from sweating glasses; wax from the dinner table centerpiece; or gum from the child that thought he might chew it later and stuck it under the table are all things that can hurt your Amish furniture. However, that is the great thing about Amish furniture. It is forgiving and those things can be repaired or fixed even by you. Here are the solutions to those common mishaps that can happen to your Amish furniture:

Cigarette burns:
Minor burns can be fixed by rubbing with a paste or linseed oil and rottenstone. You can get these items at your local hardware store. Work with the grain pattern while rubbing.

Heat Marks:
Rub with the grain with a dry steel wool soap pad, extra fine (grade 0000) steel wool or a cloth damp with mineral spirits. Work slow and rub soft.

Nail Polish:
Blot the spill immediately and then rub with fine steel wool (grade 0) dipped in guardsman furniture polish. Wipe dry.

Paint:
If fresh, remove latex paint with water. If the paint is oil based use mineral spirits.

Water Marks:
Rings are often in the wax, not the finish. Most of the high-end Amish dining tables are finished with conversion varnish. Rub with white toothpaste, mayonnaise, or salad oil and wipe dry.

Wax or gum:
Harden the spot by holding an ice cube wrapped in a cloth until hard. Pry off with your fingernail. Rub the area with extra fine (grade 0000) steel wool if needed. Use a bit of mineral spirits if needed. Wipe dry.

ABOUT THE PICTURE
Escalade Occasionals- Coffee Table
The Escalade Occasionals- Coffee Table features 1" wood tops and dovetailed drawer boxes with full extension slides.
Dimensions: 42"W x 24"D x 18"H

AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have believed that a cigarette burn could be removed, except that I saw it with my own eyes. It happened at my sister's. All of her furniture is Amish made. Now, I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son set a hot dish fresh from the microwave on my dining room table and left a square heat mark. I was sick, I thought it was ruined forever. I'm going to try your remedy and print off the list in case of future mishaps. I really appreciate the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie's relieved MomMarch 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM

    I can't remember the number of times I've asked my girls to put newspaper down before they start painting their nails. The spill occurred this morning and Lizzie was afraid to tell me because she knows I love my Amish made table. I'm so glad to see that there is a way to get it up. Now, I can let her live to see the light of day again. Thanks for the hints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed with the list of mishap repairs. I'm going to print it off and keep it safe. I have several pieces of Amish built furniture throughout my home. I'm extremely careful with it, but my two teenagers don't know the meaning of the word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we came home from vacation I found a water spot on one corner of my china hutch. My son was home from college and fixed himself a big glass of iced tea. He forgot to put a coaster under it and didn't realize that it left a water ring behind when he picked it up. I was sick about it, but my hubby found your solution and now you can't even tell it was there. Thanks so much for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all common mishaps and try as you might, accidents do happen. It's good to know how to handle each one. Thanks for the information. I'll be copying this down in case I ever need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mishaps happen regularly at our house. Not all of our furniture is Amish made but that's what we are shooting for. The list will reside in my recipe box from now on. That where I put things like this that I want to be able to find quickly when the need arises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was afraid the heat marks on my new table were there for good. I'm so glad to have found this site and these tips. I'll keep them for future reference, although I hope there are no more mishaps.

    ReplyDelete