Friday, June 4, 2010

Wood Characteristics ~ Splitting

Amish craftsmen work hard to prevent wood splitting from happening. The process starts from when the log is first cut and monitored through out the entire creation till the end product is produced. Splitting occurs when the furniture craftsmen does not get enough glue on the seam of two boards. Amish artisans take extra care when assembling any piece of Amish wood furniture to ensure the highest quality. The glue used by Amish artisans is actually stronger than the wood. If and when a split were to happen in an Amish created furniture a crack will form next to the glue joint, but not on the joint. Amish artisans take extra care to seal the end grains with Conversion Varnish. This stops the flow of most moisture into the wood that will help in preventing splitting.

As a consumer, you can help prevent splitting by limiting direct sunlight from your Amish Furniture. Direct sun will dry the top of the wood faster than non exposed areas. Controlling the humidity levels in the home also prevents splitting. Amish furniture is built to adapt to the weather’s changes by the Amish artisan’s utilizing floating panels in the doors and using screws to connect pieces were the grain patterns change direction.

ABOUT THE PICTURE
Carlisle 2 Piece Mule Chest
The Carlisle style is characterized by 1” solid tops with rounded edges and corners, ¾” solid wood sides, splayed legs, slightly raised drawer fronts, high arched doors and bases, dental molding, and solid Maple dovetailed drawers. The standard hardware is the 1950 BN – Black Nickel 1.25” knob(L).
The Carlisle Deluxe 2 Piece Mule Chest has 9 drawers, 4 doors, and 6 adjustable shelves.
Dimensions: 70.5" x 23.5" x 81.25"

AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the term splitting, but I have a prime example of it sitting in my living room. A hutch, not amish made I'm sorry to say, has a unsightly split on the front of the door. I contacted the manufacturer and of course, it's not covered. I know where to go the next time I make a furniture purchase. Right here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mule chest is a new term for me, but I do know that I like the looks and dimensions of the unit. I need a storage unit in my den and this appears to have an abundance of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a welcome addition to our family room. The split of drawers and covered shelves would work perfectly for our needs. I'm sure there is enough room to accomodate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I've been looking for to use in our dining room. The color is a good match to our table and I'll be able to store my good dishes and dining linen in the room where it gets used instead of having to haul it up from the basement every time I want to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Mule Chest is a funny sounding name for a piece of furniture but it's anything but funny looking. I can think of several rooms that I could use this in. My house is short on storage so I need to add it as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the looks of this cabinet. I could use the storage space but I'm not sure it will fit where I need it. I guess there's only one way to find out. I wonder where the tape measure might be hiding?

    ReplyDelete