Wednesday, May 5, 2010

10 Ways to Help Beat Clutter



1. Have an ongoing donation basket. It will be used throughout the tips.

2. How many towels do you really need? Go through your linen closet and get rid of those towels that are growing paper-thin and the extra towels you hang onto just because. Toss them into the donation basket. Consider only purchasing white towel. They look good, you can bleach them to keep them looking good, and it will give your bathroom a more organized look.

3. Stop collecting. You know what I am talking about – collecting brochures, menus, etc that you know you will not look at again. They only end up on your table or stuck in a drawer causing unnecessary clutter.

4. Go through your mail weekly. Do not allow it to pile up. Shred what needs shredding and dispose of what is disposable. It would be nice if we could throw the bills in the donation basket!

5. Storage bins can be a good thing, but can also be a downfall if abused. If you have a habit of being a hoarder, I strongly urge you not to utilize them. Everything you lay your hands on whether it is worthy of keeping or not will end up in storage bins and then you have a massive amount of clutter just neatly packed sky high in storage bins. If you have self-control, then storage bins can be a good thing.

6. Cookbook overload? Seriously, do you use them all? When was the last time you opened one? Take a day to sit and go through your cookbooks and downsize. Toss the ones you know you won’t use into the donation basket. For those who have just a few recipes you like or think you may use, scan the recipes or transfer them onto recipe cards and store in a nice recipes box then donate those books as well.

7. Use a calendar to jot down important events and details onto rather then keeping each and every piece of paper regarding the events. Discard of the papers after transferring necessary information onto the calendar.

8. Have you ever noticed how living room furniture drawers quickly fill up with papers, magazines, and whatnots? While you are sitting there watching your favorite TV program, open one of them drawers and make two piles, keep and toss and clean them out!

9. Sock snatcher. You know how when you are doing laundr and you come across several pairs of socks missing their mate… well rather then piling them on top of your dresser use a pillow case to toss the missing match sock into and each time you do laundry for about a month, try matching up socks. What doesn’t have a partner at the end of the month, toss! The sock snatcher has it and you will never see it again.

10. Should I or should I not.. You know.. that thought that rambles in your head about discarding something or keeping it. Well, rather than rack your brain over it, toss it into a box. Mark the date on it when it is full along with a brief description of items in the box. Tape it up and store it. If in 6 months you have not needed anything out of it, donate the items.

ABOUT THE PICTURE
Recipe Box - Cherry
Dimensions 8.5 x 6 x 6.

AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

5 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when I saw your list. I'm guilty of several. I have more cookbooks than 10 people could use regularly. I also have piles of catalogs that I keep thinking "I'll go through", but they just keeps getting bigger. Drawers are always in overflow condition and I hate to throw a towel away. You've caught me red handed and I am going to take care of these starting right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I thought at first look that the picture was a pulpit and that you were preaching about getting rid of clutter! I checked the proportions and looked at it again and I saw it for what it really was, just a really up close picture of a recipe box. Looks can be deceiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donating excess is a wonderful idea. There are so many out there who would love to put it to use. I'm going to take the challenge and as I do Spring Cleaning I'm going to see how much I can get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter bought me the recipe box for Mother's Day. The one I've been using is falling apart and was being held together with rubber bands. I love it and I know I'll be thinking of her each time I take out a recipe to prepare a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so tired of all the clutter in my house. The kitchen just gets taken over with papers! Thank you for these 10 tips. I'll be taking them in stride one at a time.

    ReplyDelete