Friday, May 28, 2010

Wood Type ~ Cherry



Cherry used in Amish furniture is actually called Black Cherry. Cherry is a fine hardwood, but is the softest of the woods Amish use. It’s Janka hardness is 950 making it just as durable as soft maple.

Cherry comes from cherry trees belonging to the binomial name Prunus Serotina. The genus Prunus, species Serotina is native to North America. The color of cherry Amish Furniture is rich red to reddish brown and will darken with age and exposure to light. The wood has a thin consistent, straight grain with a soft texture and may naturally contain brown pith particles and small gum pockets.

Cherry that is used in Amish furniture was most likely just built. This wood is actually more “pink” and if sprayed with a natural finish, or clear coat of conversion varnish, it will take up to 6 months to “naturally darken to a golden color”.

Many companies use other similar grained woods that are cheaper, then stain the wood to look like cherry. They then try to sell it for a higher price. Amish Craftsmen only use 100% solid cherry and never cut corners trying to “fake it”.

Never place anything on top of a new Cherry piece of Amish Furniture for at least 6 months after purchase. The sun will not be able to naturally darken covered areas and you will be left with the noticeable lighter area in the shape of whatever you had placed on the piece of furniture. If you bought a piece of Amish Cherry Furniture that comes with an extra leaf such as with tables, make sure you have them exposed to the same sunlight as the rest of the piece so they all darken consistently and naturally in unison.


AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

6 comments:

  1. Not 'faking it' I'm guessing, is what makes the color of Amish cherry wood furniture look so different that what you will find from the larger manufacturers. That's a good thing to know. I had no idea it took several months for the color to deepen. I like knowing where to go for the 'real deal'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Jojo. I want to buy my furniture from a reputable dealer and I believe that's what I get here. I've ordered several times and have been completely satisfied with every purchase. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry is a nice warm color and looks good with almost any decor. I've had light oak for quite some time and I'm ready for a change. This could be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me mad that manufacturers are using cheap wood and making it look like more than it is just to up the price. I don't buy anything except Amish built anymore. I want to know that my money is going towards quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry is my favorite look. Knowing you only use REAL cherry instead of garbage manufacturers use--has convinced me to only purchase Amish made furniture.

    Thank you for this valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cherry. I'm trying to re-do all of my furniture at my condo. When I travel to Chicago I want to feel comfortable and at home.

    ReplyDelete