Monday, April 26, 2010

Do you have a Child Artist in the Family?



You are probably wondering what the picture of an Amish Dresser has to do with a child artist. Bear with me for a second and you will quickly find out. This is a personal story of my own son who from the time he could hold a crayon, pencil, or pen, began to draw. I loved all the pictures he drew for me, but the problem was he could go through a bulk of paper in two weeks flat. As you can imagine, this made for a whole lot of “special” pictures that had to be saved. Realistically I quickly saw that saving each and every drawing he made was not going to be possible. I would have been a great candidate for the show “Hoarders” had I done so. Thus entering into the picture, the Amish Dresser.

As my son drew, I had to find a place to locate the drawings. With a little forethought and a beautiful Amish made dresser the soon to be hoarder problem was solved. As he drew, my son was directed to place his drawings into this dresser that was in his room just for his drawings. He had accesses to all six drawers (the top two for his pencils, markers, crayons, and pens and the other 4 for his finished work) so he could separate his drawings if he chose, or just pile them on top of one another as they were completed. Now some may be thinking, that is a pricey investment just so your child can save his pictures. Maybe so if tat was all it meant, but some things are worth more than any dollar amount. See, after my son would draw for a week or two, on a rainy free day we would sit on his bedroom floor and go through each and everyone one of his pictures as he would tell me the stories behind them. I would ask him if I could have 5 of my favorites each time and make a big deal out of how hard it was to choose. With the remainder of the pictures, we would make separate piles, one for grandma, others for aunts, and friends. As we separated them we would place them in large manila envelops, address them, and send them on to their recipient as a special mail package. As you can see from where this is going, by the time we were done, we had not only cleaned out the dresser of drawings, and gifted others, but we made great memories.

As my son grew, the drawing slowed down as he honed his skills and the need for the dresser for storage ceased. However, as he grew so did his wardrobe, so what was once a memory maker quickly grew into it’s initial intention, a great dresser that will last for generations to come and hopefully grow memories with his own children one day.

ABOUT THE PICTURE
Royal Slat Mission 6 Drawer Chest
The Royal Slat Mission style is characterized by 1” solid tops, slatted side panels, 3/8” inset doors and drawers, and solid maple dovetailed drawer boxes. It comes standard without diamond walnut inlays and the 076 BK (R-2) hardware group.


Dimensions: 40" x 21" x 50"


AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
Contact AmishRetail.com
Customer service numbers:
Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
Local: 801-649-5391
Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Fax: 801-606-2834
Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
Postal Mail:
1192 East Draper Parkway
Suite 302
Draper, UT 84020

Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
Twitter @ AmishRetail
Facebook @ AmishRetail

8 comments:

  1. You're a lucky woman. My son likes to draw on his dresser. Thankfully, it's always come off easy enough. I think the quality of the finish on his Amish made dresser makes it possible. Now, if I could only figure out how to get those pictures off of the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I thought every family came with at least one short artist! The first time my daughter drew on the wall with crayons, I put a picture frame around it. The second time she used my lipstick and drew on the bathroom wall paper. That wasn't nearly as precious. The dresser for storage of art work is a good one though. Probably 1 or 2 drawers would be enough. The rest I could actually use for her clothes. I really like the looks of the chest you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose the Royal Slat Mission Chest for my kids room. It's looks are OK with the boys and it matches the Amish made beds we bought them last year. They get the bottom drawer to stash their stuff and the rest are for clothes. I never look in that drawer because I'm afraid of what I will find. 6 year boys can be way out there about what they think is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All 4 of my children love to draw and color. The oldest 2 are really good about keeping the crayon use to paper or color books. I don't usually let the younger 2 have crayons because they eat them and they color on anything they can reach. Any piece of furniture and any wall is their 'picture'. No matter how hard I try to keep the crayons out of their reach, they always seem to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think children all go through that phase where they color on things they know they shouldn't. It's almost like they're trying to leave there mark somehow. I've found that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser can remove crayon from just about all surfaces, even wallpaper if you get it quick enough. Kids will be kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dresser but I don't have any children, yet anyway. After reading the comments I wonder if I really do want them. Just kidding. I used to draw on every loose piece of paper I could find. It used to drive my Mom bonkers but we both made it past that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little guy is too young for crayons just yet. Now, he'd only eat it if he ever got his chubby little hands on one. I do, however, really like the looks of the dresser and I'm betting their is a bed that would totally complete the set. I want to get a twin bed before he outgrows the crib.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the looks of this dresser on sight. I have 2 boys who need bigger dressers and these are just what I'm looking for. Amish built furniture is so well made I know it will still be useful to them when they head out to college. They're only 5 now but I know the time will fly by.

    ReplyDelete