Thursday, April 1, 2010

Teaching Children how to Set Formal Dinner Table


What better time to get the cooperation of your children in setting a table then when you are expecting family and friends for a formal Easter Dinner. It is a great time to turn a everyday task into a real learning experience. Your children may already be accustomed to setting an informal table but have they had the opportunity to learn how to set a formal table?

I remember a little saying about how to place the silverware on the table from when I was a little kid. It went something like this “The fork stands alone on the left of the plate while the knife protects the spoon from the fork on the right side of the plate”. I used to play a little army or cowboy and Indian game while setting the table pretending that the fork escaped and was going after the spoon and the knife would block it from talking the spoon captive. Silly enough, yet I never forgot the gist of the saying and taught it to my children. Now they are the ones playing army while setting the table. Not only that, for the most part, kids like to be involved in family gatherings and it makes them feel important and part of the process when throwing a holiday dinner affair.

Setting and formal table, although not as exciting as having a war between the fork and the spoon, is a great skill you can pass on to your children. You can start teaching your child as early as four years of age. With these few simple tips, your child will be setting your Amish dinner table with the skills of Martha Stuart.

  • Show your child what is needed for the table settings (e.g. plates, cups, forks, knives, spoons, and even napkins).
  • Draw a place proper formal place setting on a piece of paper as a key for your child to copy with real dishes and silverware.
  • Depending on the age of your child, you can give more detail as to why the extra silverware and dishes are involved in a formal dinner setting versus an informal.
  • Have all the dinnerware that will be needed to set the table out on your counter or easy access for your child.
  • When it comes time for everyone to sit down and enjoy the dinner, make sure to acknowledge how wonderful the table looks and how much you appreciated your child’s help in preparing for the guest.

    ABOUT THE PICTURE:
    Victoria Table
    The Victoria table is shown in cherry and measures 48" x 72" and comes standard with 4 leaves. It has a gear driven slide for opening and self store leaves. It will store 2 leaves with a skirt and 2 without. It also has recessed leg levelers just in case your floor is not level. The base has a 10" pedestal and can be stained to meet your needs. Please check the "dining table sets" page under the "victoria" set for more details.

    AmishRetail.com has been selling high quality Amish Furniture since 1998. Although we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, we have compiled an extensive selection of our favorite Amish Furniture products and accessories from manufacturers across the nation. We sell only the best products of the highest quality such as Amish Dinning room furniture and accessories, Amish bedroom furniture and accessories, Amish living room furniture and accessories, Amish children’s room furniture and accessories, Amish kitchen furniture and accessories, Amish office furniture and accessories, Amish hallway/entryway furniture and accessories, Amish home accessories, Amish dolls and doll furniture, Amish art, Amish jewelry boxes and bible boxes, and so much more.

    Partly because of our refusal to sell anything but the best and partly because of our dedication to both our customers and our products, we are the leading Internet seller of Amish Furniture and accessories. You can count on us to provide you with high quality products, great deals, and excellent customer service.
    Contact AmishRetail.com
    Customer service numbers:
    Toll Free: 888-98-AMISH (888-982-6474)
    Local: 801-649-5391
    Monday - Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Mountain Time
    Fax: 801-606-2834
    Email: admin@AmishRetail.com
    Postal Mail:
    1192 East Draper Parkway
    Suite 302
    Draper, UT 84020

    Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook too!
    Twitter @ AmishRetail
    Facebook @ AmishRetail

6 comments:

  1. There were 6 kids in my family and as soon as we were tall enough to reach the table we were put into the rotation of setting the table, clearing the table and doing the dishes. We also all learned to cook and shop. Didn't matter if you were a girl or boy, you learned the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when I read what Stanley had to say. If I had a brother named Stanley, I would have thought he wrote that comment. My Mama always said that it was important to know how to set a formal table as well as knowing how to eat at one. She told us we could never know how important that information could be. She was very right. My fiance comes from a well to do family who are very prim and proper, especially at the table. I'm grateful my Mama had the foresight to teach us right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the picture of that table brings back many fond memories as it looks amazingly like the one we had. The only difference is the center spindles. We lost that table in a fire but we're thankful that everyone made it out alive. It was replaced with another Amish built table but it is a lighter color and not so ornate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know how to set a table period until I started working at a restaurant in college. It was a classy place that required me to learn to set up a formal table. I was impressed with the look of it. I don't remember all of us sitting down at the same time, let alone loading it up with dishes beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though we ate informally in the kitchen as a family, all of us were taught to set a formal table and we were also taught how to eat at one. I must admit the idea of having more than 1 fork seemed a little silly to me, but as I grew older I was glad I knew what to do with each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My aunt taught me how to set a formal dining room table. I would spend every other weekend at her house. Frequently she'd have family members over and I was in charge of setting the table. I'm thankful she taught me this as I needed to know it in other circumstances. I would have been embarrased had I not known.

    ReplyDelete